Tuesday, May 17, 2011

NITIE GDPI Experiences-1

National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE), Mumbai GDPI Experiences (1/2)

Candidate: S.Satish Kumar  
Call for: PGDIM
XII-86.5% (State board)
Graduation- BE (Computer Science and Engg) 77%
Work Experience:- 38 Months, TCS
Date: 17th Mar, 2011

First of all, the campus is slightly uphill, but it is serene and verdant. I could see only green foliage everywhere except the buildings of course . View of the Vihar lake is simpy awesome!!! I wasn't lucky enough to get a room in the MDP hostel and I would rather not talk about my accommodation . But the process was well organized in terms of relaxing the tense canidates with movies, student-aspirant interaction and the QUIZ!!!  If the waiting time alone is reduced to some extent, the process would be more awesome this year seniors!! Thanks for the experience .

I was seated in the conference room/auditorium by 8am...a video about NITIE was played followed by a rigorous Q&A session with the seniors. Got to see Varun (VisionIIM..) in person . Since there would be a lot of waiting time for GD, PI and document verification, 'andaz apna apna' was played, which eased off the tension in the air. My group had 10 candidates, and we completed our document verification first (a photocopier and printer were available for the candidates if needed, which was simply too good) and then proceeded to our GD.

Group Discussion:
No. of people: 10
No. of minutes: 2 minutes to think, ~12 min to discuss, 2 min to conclude

One of us picked the topic, "Corruption in India: can it be removed?"

I managed to make the opening statement and added a few points about Indian politics being caste/money/muscle power driven and the need for more transparency...managed to come in 4-5 times...there were many varied & good points discussed like RTI, judicial system, use of IT...

I managed to "start" the conclusion as well and let the others continue from where I left (a kind of group conclusion ). Eventually 3 of us concluded after having covered all the points discussed  .

I returned to the auditorium to find "3 idiots"  playing (the "definition of machine" scene )...after a while we broke for lunch. The food was good and affordable . On return, 3 idiots resumed...then the quiz happened (I managed to get a gift voucher  ..answered the very last question about Inception). And then, we had the option of watching either "The Dark Knight" or "Inception", and the junta wanted the former. I was almost half-way into the film fighting my urge to enjoy the movie and burying myself into my project thesis, when I was called for my PI ...

Personal Interview:
I was mentally prepared for 'why NITIE', 'why MBA' and 'why PGDIM'...but those answers never had the chance to get out of my head . I thought I had seen everything when I once had a 4-panel PI...I stepped in to count ..1..2..3..4....5 panelists (my heart did a backflip there ). I asked if I can hand over my file, they asked me to have it with me and requested me to sit down.

4 Sirs and 1 Madam with completely unreadable faces...almost till the end . And my first question was the least expected one...

M1: So Satish, tell us about yourself.
Me: told
S4: Satish, tell us about your project.
Me: explained
S4: Did you work on the coding?
Me: A bit sir. I actually worked with one of my classmates and we both had the assistance of a project company.
S4: Okay, can you give us a real-world example where your tool (I had worked on a DB Schema analyzer tool) can be used? Say for example, NITIEs educational database....
S4: Yes sir, we could consider NITIE's finance accounts table itself which will have the details of students' fees....(and I started telling him what all tables would be needed  )
But thankfully..
S4: (politely) don't start designing. Just tell us, using the tool what will be the time consumed for the manual schema analysis and how much time will your tool save us?
Me: Sir, assuming 10 tables @ rate of 1 hour per table, it would take 10 hours to complete the manual schema check & transfer the changes required. My tool would cut it down to half, i.e by at least 5 hours.
S4: 5 hours?
Me: (confidently) Yes sir.
S1: Okay, tell me what is IP?
Me: Sir, it a protocol called Internet Protocol for transfer of data across the internet.
S1: Okay, what is most famous of such protocols?
Me: Sir, TCP/IP is very popular.
S1: Okay, you must have heard about IP Version 4 right? (say what??  )... what is the difference between IP V4 and IP V6?
Me: (please give me my gun) Sir, I have heard of them but I don't know the difference between them.
S1: Okay, what are the objects in object-oriented programming??
Me: Gave a half-baked answer as I did not revise my programming subjects.
S1: Can you give us an example?
Me: Gave an idiotic example of animal-cat-dog heirarchy...
S1: So it is like an heirarchy?
Me: (smiling sheepishly) Yes sir.
S1: Okay, have you heard of 6-sigma? Why 6 sigma? Why not 5 or 7 sigma?
Me: (I had googled it earlier...but I could make no sense of the explanation as it was too statstical ...loaded the gun now) Sir, I did try finding our the reason behind the naming, but I could not pinpoint the exact reason behind it.
S1: All right
(all this while, even though I was smiling even if I did not know the answer...the panelists' face reactions remained neutral!!! Was awed...)
S3: Okay, so tell us what is probability? (had heard from others that this question was asked to many candidates..was happy inside..but hold on)... and what is the difference between probability,.... plausability and possibility?
Me: (smiling) explained the first term. Then told that, plausability is more like a layman term which states that something either happens or not (and much to my surprise, he was nodding which was not neutral you see). And I believe plausability and probability are one and the same (hope my reading skills helped me here).
S3: So plausability and possibility are the same? (politely..didn't look like I was wrong)
Me: (after a brief pause and with a slight stress) Sir, in my opinion, I believe they are the same (smiling).

It was barely 7-8 minutes now...and they all looked at each other, then thanked me. I was numb for a sec as I was waiting for more questions and I really felt that the PI had been too short...a gunshot rang in my head . I got up to leave when suddenly...
.....
....
..
S4: You mentioned one of your hobbies to be photography right?
Me: Yes sir.
S4: What kind of photography? What pictures do you take?
Me: Sir, I own a Sony PAS camera and I take pictures of almost anything I find interesting. Even within this room, I would take pictures of the light, table at unconventional angles. I have my own photoblog...whose picture I have with me right now.
S4: Please show us.. (he sounded interested)
Me: Got up and showed the picture
S2: (he had been silent so far) So you go for wildlife photography?
Me: Sir, so far I haven't got the chance yet. But I do have a few pictures of dogs and cows

It was awkard as they were looking at a mosaic (collection of many pics) of my photoblog and I was "standing" in front of them for at least a minute. I was clueless about how to place my hands in this position...and I was explaining to all 5 of them, and the madam still had a neutral reaction  ....finally they looked satisfied and asked me to leave. This time, they were smiling (including the madam)...thank God!! I then wished everyone and left the room.

Though the PI did get stretched to 10-12 minutes, I feel I was not asked many questions and their reactions were unanimously unfathomable. The GD went okay..PI looks very avg...fingers crossed!!

Timeline:
Document verification: 15 minutes
GD: ~17 minutes
PI: ~10-12 minutes
Started at 8am...was done with PI by 5.15pm.

A big thanks to the NITIE seniors for a wonderful experience... 

Verdict: Converted (and joining)

Ch33rs,
Satish 

No comments:

Post a Comment