Wednesday, May 18, 2011

GIM GDPI-1

Goa Institute of Management (GIM) GDPI Experience (1/1)

Candidate: S.Satish Kumar  
Center: Rosewood park, Banglore
Date: 28th Feb, 2011
XAT: 79 %ile  (guess work-ex helped me get the call??!! )
Group Discussion:
Topic: Privatization in India has failed

No. of people: around 12
No. of panelists: 2

Every candidate had to make an introduction about the topic for 1 min, then it was an open house for approximately 10 minutes and then, a conclusion for 1 min by everyone. We had an essay on the same topic after the GD.

During my opening statement, I mentioned the FDI/FII inflow. Then mentioned the problem of privatization which is squashing of local markets/players. Also mentioned the level of corruption (scams) in the private sector and the lack of transparency.

Once the house was thrown open, it went smooth. I made the opening statement (for the first time ever in my life ) and set the tone for the GD. I opened with the concept of globlization and the subsequent liberalization, and the opening of the Indian economic policy in the 90s. I then made my entry 4-5 times...most of the group pounced on me when I mentioned corruption/scams . The discussion was very good as the group discussed a variety of points.

My conclusion was quite haphazard but mentioned that one can't outright say that privatization in India has failed. This was earlier echoed by a female team member.

Essay:
I was scribbling away. Ensured that I made an opening statement, gave pros then cons of privatization and then a conclusion. (One of the panelist mentioned that people could be rejected based on the essay, hence he asked us to take the essay seriously!!)

Personal Interview:
Since I was the 3rd person in the group, it took me approximately 25 minutes to get in (the previous candidates had PI for approx 10-15 min each).
------------------------
I enter and hand over my file.
P1: A gentleman in his 40s
P2: An elderly professor who hadn't spoken a word since the GD started (turned out to be otherwise during PI)

P1: Tell us about yourself please.
Me: ... ...
Since I had loaded my file with lots of certificates, P1 seemed a tad impressed while scanning through it.
P1: Oh, such a low percentile in XAT (shit!!)
Me: Yes sir, I have to accept that I did not perform well in the Quantz section
P1: Oh, did you write cat? How did you perform in Quantz there?
Me: Sir it was the same case there. I managed only 53 percentile.
P1: Why what happened?
Me: Sir, I should have concentrated more in my math fundamentals at school
P1: But math is an important aspect of life and you will find it everywhere. Even as a manager you will face many situations involving math right? How will you manage an MBA program then?
Me: Yes sir, but I can assure you that the XAT instance is just a one-off case. And I am working on my math and with constant effort, am confident of managing it.
P1: Okay, tell us 3 important aspects of a manager
Me: Gave three points
P1: But the same applies to a leader na..he then gave an example
Me: (smiling) yes sir
P1: You mentioned motivating your team for good output (had mentioned that as a point)..how would you motivate them?
Me: A very roundabout answer about meeting them and explaining them how their efforts would pay. Mentioned that I would stay back and put more efforts if needed.
P1: Okay..but how exactyly would you motivate them?
Me: (Did not know what to say) 
P1: Okay the most important thing is finding out what they expect from the project/company...then he went on to explain (I was surprised, but listened closely) 
Me: Yes sir...I had explained the same, but on very general terms (gave a sheepish grin) 
P1: Yes yes. (to P2) Sir, would you like to ask something? (he proceeded to go out)

------things get more interesting here

P2: I noticed you during the GD and you spoke really well.
Me:  
P2: I don't have any questions as such...but I would like to ask you something since you are from Chennai (we then proceeded to talk about the political scenario in TN, and there was a lot of smiling and laughing. He did mention that this question would have no bearing on my selection, so he asked me to be honest)
P1 returns by now..and in a few minutes, snacks come in (mamma mia!!)
P1: Would you like to have samosa or tea (my heart was leaping for it ....) It is okay Sir, thank you very much
P2: Are you sure? He is so intent on getting you to eat..
Me: (grining) It is okay sir, Thank you. I just had my lunch.
P2: All right, you have 3 years of work experience in TCS. Why not continue 2 years in the same line instead of spending so many lacs for MBA and then starting over with a new job?
Me: Mentioned about the industry exposure and the strong management foundation that I would receive during MBA...also mentioned that I had already planned for the expenditure by saving up on my salary (with little assistance from my father of course)...and both were impressed (especially P2)
P1: So which specialization are you interested in?
Me: (GIM does not offer operations..but stil..) Sir, I have preference for operations and marketing. Since GIM does not offer the former, I would go for the latter.
P1: Marketing is it? (he is a marketing professor at GIM). Okay, which domain are you interested in post-MBA?
Me: Sir, market reasearch...mentioned determining consumer demands/needs.....
P1: But market research as such has not yet picked up in India
Me: Yes sir. But take the example of Vodafone, Airtel etc...they have a large consumer base and are expanding rapidly. But to expand even further and for more profits, they need to know what exactly their consumer need from them..and this is where I believe market/consumer research comes in.
P2: Okay give us an honest answer. Did you join any coaching institute for speaking?
Me: Sir absolutely not. I did join a coaching institute, but that was just for the exam preparation.
P1: Why not?
Me: Sir, as I mentioned earlier (tell us about yourself) I have been reading English books for a long time now. That has added to my confidence...and generally, I am confident about my communication skills.
P2: But joining classes (gdpi training classes i.e) for the same is not bad. Because they finetune you..
P1: (nodded in agreement)
Me: Could only smile and nod in agreement.
----By now...I felt they were done with the questions 
(both looked satisfied and their reaction gave me the feeling the interview was over)
P1: So what other calls do you have?
Me: Grinning 
P2: Don't worry, your answer will have no bearing on the interview or the selection process
(I had started loving this Sir even more, he is too charming )
Me: Sir xyz, GIM and hgk.
P1: Oh hgk huh, good good. So between GIM and hgk, which one would you choose?(hgk != IIM FYI)
Me: (Grinning so hard my teeth would have crumbled) 
P2: Come on, don't worry, be honest, there won't be any problem.
Me: Sir, I have equal preference for GIM. But in the case I need to choose, hgk will have a slightly higher preference.
P1: Very good. You must always have choices. You should not be emotional, be emotional, but only in relations. All the best for hgk.
P1: Do you have any questions for us?
Me: (in my eagerness) Sir, the new campus is being shifted...
P2: (interrupts with a smile) new campus??
Me:  Sorry sir, the campus is being shifted to a new area. How faraway is..
P1: Don't worry, it is quite far. And it will be really tough for you to visit the beaches frequently
P2 laughs and I grinned .
P1: It is always good to ask questions...keep asking them.
(a momentary pause)
P2: Well that would be it gentleman. You did really very well. All the very best.
P1: You did well, thank you.
Me: stunned ..shook their hands and gracefully made my exit.

There was no document verification. P1 did check for the GIM PI call letter.

My interview lasted approximately 20-25 minutes. It was a really wonderful experience. Whether I convert the call or not, the experience will always stay on my mind, especially the really cool panelists. Thank you Sirs.


Verdict: Rejected (must be the low XAT percentile)

Ch33rs,
Satish 

No comments:

Post a Comment