Tuesday, May 24, 2011

IIM-B GDPI-2

Indian Institute of Management, Banglore GDPI Experience (2011) - 2/2


Candidate: Abhishek  
Work Experience: 30 months

VenueIndia Habitat Centre, NDLS
Date: 19th March, 2011
Just 7 of us in a group. Panel consisted of a Sir, a Madam and an Alumni.

Essay writing:
Topic: "Census is a wasteful exercise, sample surveys should suffice"

We were given 30 mins to write just one page. Don't know what they were thinking. IIMK gave 20 mins for 3 sheets, L gave 15 mins for 2 sheets while A gave only 10 mins for 1 sheet. To top them all, C gave only 5 mins to write 1 sheet of essay. And after having passed through such tough essay tests before, 30 mins for 1 sheet, sounded like a cake walk. And after the 5mins per sheet Calcutta exp, I swear, I would have written 4 essays on 4 different topics in those 30 mins..lolz. Neways, I focussed on my handwriting with the extra time at hand. Broadly wrote against the topic. Was done in 20 mins. And from what I could gather by my discussions with others, I had done a great job with my essay. And that too with beautiful handwriting for a change

Personal Interview: 
I was first in the group to be taken up for PI. They looked like a perfect panel from an IT city IIM. all out with their laptops and continously taking notes while I spoke. I exchange greetings and am asked to sit.
Sir: Abhishek, tell us something about urself
Me: Keep telling about my city of birth- family- btech -hobbies - job- company, etc etc
Sir: So, where is it that u work exactly?
Me: Told about my unit and exact work in BHEL. Told about the location of the unit at haridwar.
Sir: So Abhishek, what is your view on China importing ores from India?
Me: Sir, china is mainly like importing iron ore from india. I see it as a part of the larger strategy to secure mineral assets abroad to safeguard its economy and industry from future crises. It has been aggressively pursuing the acquisition of oil fields too , along with coal and iron mines abroad. India, being a democracy, hasnt been able to take quick decisions in this regard, till now. But late though it is, we are also now pursuing the acquisition of oilfields abroad. As in india, we dont allow private players to own mines , china rather imports ore from india than own mines here. It is using up our resources to build its own economy. We are actually squandering away our precious natural resources by not using the ore for our own nation building and rather exporting it away at throw away prices.
Sir:Ok. So what would be your take on the situation, if you were the industries minister at centre?
Me: Sir, Actually according to me, the major problem plagueing the iron and steel sector, is the capacity crunch in the steel sector. We have to export so much of raw iron ore, as we dont have enough steel making capacities that would consume the iron ore we produce. Personally, i appreciate the Japan model a lot in this regard. Japan has no ore, mineral or oil produced there. But it imports all iron ore, makes steel out of it, then makes cars out of the same steel and exports them later on to the very nations like india, from whom it took the iron ore after doing almost 100 times value addition. As the industry minister my aim would be to do as much value addition to our raw materials as possible in india itself. Have steel plants to consume the ore, and have more tool, component, construction and automobile industry to use up this steel to produce finished products. The more stages of value addition we have, the more jobs we'll create, something we desperately need in this country.
Sir: U know the controversy regarding the Jindal Steel plant expansion? What is the reason why we are not able to expand steel plant capacities in india?
Me: Sir, actually in india, the major problem plagueing industry expansion is the land acquisition issue. We are majorly an agarian state, and land here is scare. Per capita land holding is also less. People are not willing to part with their land easily. 
Sir: No. But I dont think land was the issue with Jindal plant.
Me: Sir , I am not really sure what the exact issue with the Jindal plant was. I was talking generally about the land issues hindering steel plant expansions. Take for example the POSCO plant issue in orissa. Even the Mittal Steel plant had problems with getting permits to set up plants next to the mining area. Even the industrialists have been too adamant on setting up the industry in a particular area or piece of land only. At times, they want their plant next to a particular mine only. Their logic is to save on the transportation cost of transporting the ore from the mine to the plant. But then you cant keep avoiding transportation forever. If you set up your steel plant next to a mine in chattisgarh, then you'll be away from the automobile plants in gurgaon, where your market lies, or the ports in vishakhapatnam and kolkata, from where you need to export it. You can be next to only one of the three major areas. So one should never fear transportation, rather government should work real hard to provide excellent, road, rail and port infrastructure such that the industrialist never fears setting up the plant in any corner of the nation. If not on the fertile agarian pathches of land like singur, one may set up his plant on any of the several barren pieces of land easily available in the country. And govt should make sure that his plant then has excellent acces to road, rail and power, so that it can function as smoothly from that location as any other
Sir: But dont u think we have railways and roads? We do have them right? Where is the problem then?
Me: Sir those things are there. But their capacities are by no means enough to meet the industry's demands. We at BHEL get diesel every month through the oil tanker rakes of railways, for our internal consumption. And I know how much issues are involved with it. one has to book a rake, almost a month in advance. Lots of hassles are involved. And again, due to the heavy traffic on our railway lines, the rake never reaches us on time. Although, i agree that freight cost by rail comes at a third of the cost. But then, rail transportation should be made more reliable and easily available to the customer. Again, the state of roads in the areas around mines is pathetic. Due to the corruption on toll booths at highways, we have over loaded trucks plying on the highways everywhere. The roads breakdown long before their lifetime and road network is left in shambles. We need to work on strengthening both these modes of transport and make sure none of the industry or mining belt is left uncovered.
Sir:You've studied in NITK. Means, u've been in karnataka for 4 years. You must be aware of the controversy regarding the illegal mining in bellary district and the problems in karwar. What would your take be on these issues as the chief minister of karnataka? Do u think yediyurappa handled these well?
Me: Sir, I dont think karwar we have iron ore mines. They were there in kudremukh earlier...
Sir: Thats ok. karwar it was some problem with some other ore. U carry on...
Me: Sir, with regards to the bellary illegal mining issue and the karnataka government's stand on it, I feel there are 2 cases possible. Either the government is also corrupt and it is working hand in hand with the Reddy brothers. They have their share in the mining profits and support it. In that case, there is nothing more left to say. But suppose for once, we assume that the chief minister in karnataka is really an honest man, and he actually wanted to put an end to the illegal mining in bellary, then the way he handled the situation was not right. He knows, that he runs a minority government. He doesnt have sufficient majority in the house. He doesnt have enough strength in the assembly to take on the Reddy brothers directly. Twice he tried to do that, and twice his government came to the brink of collapsing. The reddy brothers have been blatantly blackmailing him on this issue. According to me, he should have used this god sent opportunity to form a government in karnataka for the first time to handle other issues and ignore the bellary mining scam for some time. He should have worked for the poor and marginalised in the state, and used these 5 years to develop a good will among the masses. And then come back with a thumping majority next time, with stronger numbers and then take a tough stand against the reddy brothers. With weak numbers in the parliament, we have seen how even the DMK and the left parties have been creating problems for the central government and never let them take important decisions in the nation's interest.
Sir: So tell me , why do u want to do an MBA?
Me: Lots of nonsense. Same old rata hua answer. Talked about my self realization during work that one needs to have knowledge horizontally about all areas of the company in order to succeed. I've seen my own bosses develop cold feet when they are put in from production to commercial at 45 yrs of age. That beyond a certain point you'll have to be and expert in multifunctional capabilities to have a bird's eye view of the overall administration of the company, take better decisions and emerge more successful. If u are not an allrounder then, u cant grow and you cant be efficient either. I want to be well aware of all areas from a young age itself and emerge more successful. Learn about finance, hr, marketting, etc apart from the technical stuff tat I already am an expert at...etc...etc
Sir: Hmm. So do you know about the Toyota Model of hierchy in industry that is followed in Japan?
Me: NO
Sir: Under this model, when an engineer is first recruited like u were first recruited as a fresher from college, you are first posted for a fixed period of time in all areas of the company one by one. And only after spending time knowing each functional area, u start growing vertically. Would u like to be under such a model?
Me: Why ofcourse sir, that is an awesome model. It'll make anyone an allrounder, something so essentially required. 
Sir: U know at IIM Bangalore, we have so many PSUs coming for recruitment. Would you like to join BHEL again after your MBA once you have wider knowledge about all areas of work horizontally?
Me: (How I hated this question. No way I am getting back into a PSU ever again) Ya sure sir. Once I am done with my learning there is no problem with going back. 
Sir: But then u'll spend so much time learning new stuff and begin again at the bottom in the company.
Me: Sir, that I anyways have to learn someday or the other. Even if i dont do my MBA today and continue to work with BHEL i'll get stuck somewhere at higher levels if i dont develop necessary knowledge now. U know, we have a policy, wherein one has to have the knowledge of atleast 2 shops and 1 non shop office department, before an AGM can be promoted to a GM. And a GM should have knowledge of atleast 2 different units before he may become an Executive Director. How will I ever succeed in a different department if I dont learn the stuff concerning that department. And again that age, its difficult to learn new things. I better do them now 
Ma'am: Hmm k. Abhishek we dont have a copy of your profile or sop with us. Do u have one?
Me: I dont have my profile , but I do have a copy of my sop (sir walks up to me and takes it) 
Sir: So Abhishek, tell me. Have you ever tried your hand at Stand Up comedy? No actually I feel you can do that well.
Me: (WTF...do I look like Raju Srivastava to u?) No sir. Actually I know I have the ability wherein I can narrate a particular normal incident to a group of friends such that it may sound funny. But if I have to narrate the same incident to the same group of friends, professionally, like them being audience, and me on stage, I cant do it. I've got terrible stage fear. 
Ma'am: How do u know you have stage fear?
Me: I can never be my natural self when I am on stage. There is always a shadow of pretence or conciousness. I call this stagefear. 
Ma'am: So Abhishek, tell me about ur interests....as in like hobbies.
Me: Maam, actually I am into swimming. I've been upto district level in swimming. I've also been winning prizes at various competitions held at college and unit level in BHEL. Apart from that, I play cricket also. Not great enough to be in my college or bhel team. But then I was in my departmental team at metallurgy department in nitk. 
Ma'am: What else?
Me: (ya ofcourse, u'll now keep asking else else, untill u can find something to grill me on) When I am not swimming or playing cricket, i read something or watch TV
Ma'am: So what exactly do u read?
Me: Actually my interests have varied over all past years. When I was in school , in primary days, I began with hardy boys. During high school days, I shifted to agatha christie and all 
Sir: No no. Dont give us the entire history. What about the past 2-3 years.?
Me: Actually nowadays, I am not into any specific category of books. I sometimes read fiction, sometimes philosophy, sometimes something else 
Ma'am:What books on philosophy have u read?
Me:There is no fixed author or category maam. Sometimes its like Paulo coelho's Alchemist, sometimes its.... 
Sir: Oh comeon. Dont mention alchemist. Its like a thin booklet. U can finish off stuff like that in one sitting
Me:Ya, I mean. That is not all. But I am not very choosy about the books I pick now. I've even tried my hand at the BIBLE, sometimes random books by some random authors. Develop ideas from whereever u can 
Ma'am: So u are like, u may read anything and everything. you have no choice or idea in mind when you pick a book.
Me: Well actually in most cases, somebody might have read the book and recommended it to me. I'd have heard of the ideas in the book and would want to read it myself to know them better and develop my own insights based on them 
Ma'am: And apart from these books?
Me: Newspapers/Magazines 
Sir: So u dont do any serious reading nowadays?
Me: Sir, I am not left with so much time at hand after my work and sports, that I'll read books after books. At times I have to attend double shifts at plant and may remain at work for 16 hrs at a stretch. I just come back home to sleep and again get back to work. I cant devote such long hours to pursue such academic hobbies so much now. In school days I used to read a lot.
Sir: Ok, so what all books did u read in school?
Me: I was mainly into reading Agatha Christie books. Was a big fan of Perry Mason series by Erle Stanley Gardner. Also read a lot of fiction titles by Jeffery Archer
Sir: So tell me why was jeffery archer in jail earlier?
Me: Oh was he? How would I know!!! I only read his books. I have no idea why he ever went to jail and all (they all start laughing)
Sir: And what about college time?
Me: Sir, college time mainly the same set of authors continued, but I started reading with less ferocity. 
Sir: I really dont understand why people always say their reading habbit reduced when in college. College time is when it should really pick up.
Me: Sir , actually there are so many other activities to do when in college
Sir: Like what? Dont tell me u spent ur entire time swimming at surathkal beach.
Me: (smiling) Not surathkal, but I did swim at Gokarna beach
Sir: That u must have. I know. So what happened. What took up your time at college?
Me: Sir, there are so many other things to do. When you are at a place like NITK you have talent coming in from every corner of country. And once you see them doing things, you explore a lot of things. Like, I even tried my hand at guitar in college and failed miserably. You see people doing stuff and you explore them yourself. You have the entire lifetime later on to continue pursuing your reading interests. 
Alumni: (Speaking for the first time)So tell me one thing which would be like your ultimate dream come true....
Ma'am: Something Like Nirvana...
Sir: Something which you would want for yourself, or want to see urself at the age of say, 45 years.
Me: Lots of fundae.... filmi style....fultu dialogues... I dont want to disclose this answer as I find it embarassing myself. They smile a lot after the answer. I smile back. 
Sir: So why IIM Bangalore abhishek?
Me: Sir, now U might say I am giving childish reasons. But this is it. As true as it can get. IIMB is one of the best management institutes in the country. Every aspirant's dream institute. I have only dreamt of getting into a place like this. Its too good. Again, its like one of the best cities in india. Pub city...wow. How I wish to settle down in a metro city . Be in a metro city. I love crowded trains. I love the traffic jams on the roads. I dont want to go back to a small country like town like haridwar. 
Sir: Ya , that way baroda is a good city.
Me: Baroda is good. Bombay is better. (he smiles)
Alumni: So IIMB is one of the best or the best management institute in the country?
Me: (awkward smile and ...) Sir I'll say one of the best. A, B and C are a league apart. Together they are the best.

All smile. Thank each other and take leave.

Verdict : Converted

No comments:

Post a Comment