Saturday, May 21, 2011

IIM-L GDPI-1

Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow GDPI Experience (2011) - 1/3


Candidate- Akash  
B.E (Electronics)- Dr.D.Y. Patil's Ramrao Adik Institute Of Technology, Mumbai University, 2010
Work Experience- Fresher
Extra curriculars- Nothing special, a bit of Robotics-IEEE, college fests organising, quizzing, singing, etc.
Any other special thing about you : Collecting coins - Numismatism

Venue : Hotel Sea Princess, Juhu.
Date : 25th Feb, 2011.
Time : 09:30 am.

Essay writing:Topic: The motive is not Greed, but, success which is the major reason behind the success of capitalism


Number of candidates - 9/10
Time : 15 Minutes

Brief Snapshot of the attempt :
wtf! I was going according to the time-limit.. But, the sheet was snatched away from us in around the 9 min. mark.. I could barely managed to write a page & 6-7 lines out of the 2 pages..!! I defined greed & success & stated how greed was different from success.. I wrote abt how china was goin on for an economic war against USA.. & hasn't gone for any sort of war till now.. which has resulted in an immense economic growth-rate for china.. I was abt to mention abt how in contrast US, German, Japan economies fell when they went on a rampage.. How germany started the world war-1 & 2.. But, the prof. snatched the ppr ryt @ that time..

Time given : 9 Mins.
Rate your preparation(0-5) : 4/5
Rate your performance(0-5) : 2/5 (couldn't mention many things as the paper got snatched away at around the 9 min. mark)

Group Discussion:
Topic : Same as the essay topic
Time : 15 Mins

Brief Snapshot of the attempt:
Made a very gud attempt in the GD.. came in abt 5 times.. agreed to points & also, provided examples on the points of the fellow mates.. made some very gud points in the middle of it as well..
One gurl was not speaking @ all.. overall, twas a peaceful GD.. no fish-market at all.. we ourselves concluded the GD at the end..

Rate your preparation(0-5) : 4/5
Rate your performance(0-5) : 4/5

Personal Interview:
Panel Members Intro : P1 (Jovial person-he was smiling throughout), P2 (the current affairs person)

Me: May I have a seat,

P1: Please seat down,
P2: Give me your certificates,
Me: Yes Sir (Gave him my certificates)
P1 : Okay, so what prep. have you made for this interview?
Me:  A bit of current affairs; being a fresher, mainly on my electronics grad. portion, & abt general HR questions,
P1: Who told u to prepare for all these things?
Me:  Sir, I contacted my mentor.. & he told me these things.. (My 1st Mistake)
P1: OK.. So, who is ur mentor?.. What's his name?
Me:  Was taken aback.. After all got a lot of mentors for all the insti's.. How am I supposed to remember their names.. Finally, named my latest e-mailer Mr. Amit Tayal (IIM-Ranchi Mentor).
P1: OK.. Amit Tayal..huh..! So, what did he tell u to prepare for your GD/PI's?
(P2-nudging-P1) - Nowadays, 1st yrs hv started dis new mentorship program for the IIM call-getters.. 
P1: OK..
Me: Sir, he told me on what topics your need to prepare for ur GD/PI's.. like current affairs, acads->if ur a fresher..
P1: OK.. so, what all did he tell you abt IIML?
Me: (Made something on my own) He told me that coming to IIML was like going to hell.. IIM's r so much different from other insti's in terms of the huge workload, like all the quizzes, submissions, etc.. which make u like a MANIAC.. that u face a lot of hardships at first, but u get used to it after a while..
P1: Did he tell u how to counter all this huge academic pressure?
Me: Yes, Sir.. He told me that students in IIML study till 3-4 am in the night.. Sir, thats why I have also started studying till late 3-4 am in the morning.. 
P1 (impressed): So, following the life of an IIMian already, huh.. But, u must be having college in the morning..
Me: Sir, I'm a 2010 passout & hv a 1 yr drop aftr that.. So, no college now for me..
P1: So, when you had college?
Me: Sir, I used to study till max. 1-1:30 am in the night..
P1: hmmm.. have u ever slept in class?
Me: No, Sir.
P1: C'mon, Akash.. I hv slept a lot in class.. U also must hv slept somewhere, sometime in class..
Me: I do sometime lose interest but, have never slept in class though.. 
P1: There must have been many girls in ur class right.. So, sometime during the class you might have lost interest here & there..
Me: No, Sir.. never.. ya, but, sometimes I used to see towards them as well..
P1: So, if I give u a seat in IIML, wud u be able to win us some medals in Sports? (I had mentioned that I had taken part in National-level Badminton & Football competitions held in MIT, Pune..)
Me: Sure Sir.. I'll do my best to win some medals for IIML..
P1: Gud.. So, wht role do u play in football?
Me: Sir, basically I'm a midfielder.. I like to keep possession of the ball.. I have a passing game.. & seldom do I give the ball to the opposition..
P1: But, does being gud in sports guarantee that your good in acads too? What topics have you prepared in acads?
Me: Sir, Semiconductors, Digital Logics, Control Systems, Microprocessors..
P1: But, if I ask u something & u can't tell me.. then, how can I giv u admission?
Me: Sir, I can only hope that I'll be able to answer ur questions.. I have prepared to the best of my abilities.. Now, the rest I leave to god..
P1: What is a thyristor?
Me: Told its a SC device.. It has 3 terminals.. Anode, Cathode & Gate.. Gate being a control terminal..
P1: Why is transistor given the name "TRANSISTOR"?
Me: Because there is "Transfer" of voltage from low resistance region to high "Resistance" region.. So, "Trans-Istor".. & hence, amplification of signals takes place..
P1: What is the size of a diode, transistor, etc?
Me: Told.
P1: Draw an AC waveform..
Me: Drawn..
P1: Suppose, I place a diode in front of it.. What will be the output?
Me: Told that first we'll have to convert AC to DC using a rectifier.. otherwise, the diode will get damaged.. I looked at him..
P1: I don't know.. u explain to me.. laughed a bit too..
Me: Gave the same answer..
Suddenly, P2(who had been checking my certificates till now) interrupted and said in a very harsh & loud tone.. - What is the output? Forget about that thing.. give us the output..
Me: Sir, I think the diode will act as a switch & when the barrier potential of the diode is reached, the diode will get turned ON.. & we'll get the same output..
Both P1 & P2: OK..(Meanwhile P1 steps out)
P2: Where is ur hometown?
Me: Told.
P2: Asks me abt the current political scenario there? (Laughing sarcastically)
Me: Told.
P2: Ok.. you can go..
Me: Thank u Sir.. Shook his hands.. & P1's too on the way while he came in.

Rate your preparation(0-5): 4/5
Rate your performance(0-5): 4/5

Any other relevant detail..

If your an engineer., prepare well on your academics. They grill on academics, especially if you are an engineer.


VERDICT: Rejected

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    Can a candidate be rejected outright.
    like not even considering him for further wait lists.

    ReplyDelete